We offer music therapy services that can support a client’s mental health and/or development. Although there can be overlap, our services typically fall under one of the two categories below.
Mental Health Services
Music therapy offers a unique way to support a client’s mental health. The ability to speak or communicate verbally is not required to benefit from this service. This makes it an ideal option for children, people with developmental disabilities and those with impaired speech due to dementia, brain injury or stroke.
- Emotional Learning
- Regulating Challenging Behaviours
- Grief and Bereavement Support
- Trauma Support
- Healthy Self-Image
- Support for anxiety, depression, agitation and responsive behaviours
- Prevention of Social Isolation
- Palliative Care Support
Developmental & Rehabilitative Services
Music therapy provides a motivating and engaging way to work on developmental or rehabilitative goals. This type of service focuses on the client to learn or improve a specific skill. We are experienced at working collaboratively with allied professionals and supporting predetermined SLP, OT, and PT goals in a musical environment. Our stroke and rehabilitation services are supported by one of our therapist trained in neurologic music therapy.
Developmental Goal Areas:
- Life Skills
Rehabilitation Goal Areas:
- Speech and Language Skills (breath support, volume, fluidity and rate of speech)
- Motor Skills (gait training, range of motion, the fluidity of movements)
- Cognition Skills (attention, working memory, executive functioning)
All our recreational services are eligible for reimbursement through SSAH and Passport funding programs.
These programs focus on enjoyment, stimulation, and self-expression. Clients participate in a variety of musical activities led by their music therapist including singing, playing instruments, theme-based group discussions, and moving to music. Programming is offered through individual sessions or small groups with peers.
Adapted Music Lessons:
Adapted music lessons provide an opportunity for individuals with special needs to learn to play an instrument in a supportive and flexible environment. Lessons are taught by qualified music therapists who are experienced in supporting individuals with all sorts of developmental, neurological and behavioural needs. Clients can learn recorder, ukulele, piano, guitar or voice.
We work often with community agencies and facilities to create programming unique for the clients they support. We offer flexible options to support a variety of budgets and programming goals.
We invite you to contact us to discuss the specific needs of your group or facility.
Some of our community partners past and present
- The Alzheimer’s Society of Simcoe County
- Apple Blossom Village
- Autism Ontario – Simcoe County Chapter
- The Barrie Woman and Children’s Shelter
- City of Barrie – Inclusive Recreation Programs
- Community Living Huronia
- Community Living South Simcoe
- Deaf-Blind Ontario
- Down Syndrome Association of Simcoe County
- Empower Simcoe
- Hospice Simcoe
- Improving Lives
- Muskoka Residential
- Oakdale Child and Family Services
- Rhythm & Pitch Children’s Music
- Speak Freely Therapy Services
- Simcoe County District School Board
Long-term & Dementia Care:
- Amica Little Lake
- Coleman Care Centre
- Errinrung Long-term Care
- Good Samaritan
- Mill Creek Care Centre
- Grove Park Home
- Leacock Care Centre
- Muskoka Shores
- Oak Terrace
- Owen Hill
- Roberta Place
- Sara Vista
- Shelburne Long-term Care
- Spencer House
- Simcoe Manor
- Sunset Manor
- Trillium Manor
- Woods Park Care Centre